Holistic & Alternative Admission Programs

What is the Admissions process for Holistic and Alternative Admissions?

Freshman applicants who do not meet OSU's assured admission criteria are reviewed by the Admissions Review Committee, which is composed of Undergraduate Admissions staff members. Students reviewed by this committee are eligible for two admission categories: holistic admission or alternative admission. Students admitted under holistic or alternative admission are advised through University College Advising.

In addition to academic advising, UCA provides students with a First-Year Seminar class (UNIV 1111) designed to help freshmen adjust to the demands of college life; learn how to become academically successful; explore various major and career options; and make students aware of university rules and regulations.

What is Holistic Admission?

Applicants whose records demonstrate a 3.0 high school GPA in 15-unit core OR 22 ACT OR 1020 SAT may qualify for further review by the Admissions Review Committee for holistic admission. This committee completes a holistic review of the applicant's file, including a review of responses to the application essay questions, high school GPA, class rank, test scores and letters of recommendation. Holistic admission means students are fully admitted to OSU and will be advised through University College Advising. 

Students admitted under holistic admission criteria who qualify for Oklahoma's Promise are eligible for full funding. 

What is Alternative Admissions?

The Alternative Admissions Program allows a certain percentage of incoming freshmen (currently 8% of the previous year's freshman class) to attend OSU without meeting all of the regular admissions requirements, but who meet minimum criteria and show potential for success as demonstrated by responses to the application essay questions, high school GPA, class rank, test scores and letters of recommendation.

Students admitted under alternative admission criteria who qualify for Oklahoma's Promise are not eligible for full funding until their second semester at OSU. However, a one-time $2,500 award may be available during their first semester. 

Am I on academic probation if admitted under holistic or alternative admission criteria?

No. You were admitted in good academic standing and so long as you maintain a GPA within State Regents' minimum standards (0-30 hours attempted = 1.7; 31 hours or more attempted = 2.0) you will be allowed to continue at OSU. If you have less than a 19 ACT in any of the four tested areas (math, English, reading, or science), you may have a performance deficiency and need to remediate in that area. Generally, such performance deficiencies will remediated before you are eligible to declare a major in one of the six undergraduate colleges. 

Who will monitor my progress and serve as my academic advisor if I am admitted under holistic or alternative admission?

Advisors in UCA have been designated as responsible for monitoring your progress and for seeing that any deficiencies are remediated and a 2.0 GPA in a minimum of 24 hours is achieved. After remediation of any deficiencies and completing one semester with a 3.0 GPA or two semesters with a minimum 2.0 GPA, students may generally transfer to their academic college of choice depending on their college and department’s individual GPA requirements.This is not to say that coursework in Agriculture, Arts & Sciences, Business, Education, Engineering and Human Sciences cannot be taken. In most cases you will be taking the same classes as students advised by those areas. Advisement through UCA simply means that information on all majors will be given to you and more support will be provided.

What services should my parents and I expect from UCA?

More intrusive, one-on-one academic advising takes place in UCA. In addition, free tutoring is available through the Paul Milburn Tutoring Program and Success Coaches are available to mentor students. First-Year Seminar courses are required and follow-up on midterm grades will be done. UCA provides a caring and supportive atmosphere where self-discipline and responsible decision-making are encouraged. 

How can I remove a curricular or performance deficiency?

There are two ways to remove a curricular or performance deficiency:

1) satisfactorily complete a 0-level course in the ACT area in which you are deficient at the Stillwater branch of Northern Oklahoma College or any other institution of higher education; or

2) achieve a passing score on an Accuplacer Placement Test or Math Placement Exam. These tests are administered at OSU in the Testing Center and during New Student Orientation.

If you choose to take a 0-level course your academic advisor will help you select the appropriate course, either through NOC-Stillwater or an institution of your choice.

The computerized Accuplacer Placement Tests and Math Placement Exams are offered free of charge at OSU-Stillwater. Upon passing the appropriate test, your deficiency will be remediated; then college coursework in that discipline area may be attempted.